FarCry reloaded - level building log [WIP]

Crysis meets FarCry - real maximum game
roadiereloaded

FarCry reloaded - level building log [WIP]

Post by roadiereloaded » 07 Apr 2019 06:34

In 2009 I started a project on the original crymod site, documenting the work on my singleplayer level that used the 'training' height-map from the first FarCry game. I abandoned that project in 2010 but the idea never left me and in 2018 I started working on it again. I put up a thread at the new cryengine forums https://forum.cryengine.com/viewtopic.p ... caf18895ba and also put it on moddb here https://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-reloaded. Now with the new home for CE2 modding documentation I am going to continue the level log here and totally 'ontopic' :)
farcry-reloaded-bg.1.jpg
farcry-reloaded-bg.1.jpg (730.19 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Last edited by roadiereloaded on 24 Apr 2019 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

roadiereloaded

Re: FarCry reloaded - level building log [WIP]

Post by roadiereloaded » 09 Apr 2019 19:20

Its back to the drawing board but looking good, you know me.
here is a sketch - going to cut and arrange the islands and maybe even join them in a row - I'd love to get rid of volcano and put river somewhere but either way, it's going to be one huge map - 2048x2048 1 unit 1 meter.
image.png
image.png (725.6 KiB) Viewed 328 times
image.png
image.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 328 times

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 09 Apr 2019 19:20

image.png
image.png (2.49 MiB) Viewed 328 times

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 09 Apr 2019 19:22

So here is the next iteration still wip draft - I am going to 'weld' some islands for the map of the century.
and a little comparison shot - as you know: 1024x1024 1 unit = 2 meters is 2048x2048 terrain size
tl;dr this could work (the reloaded heightmap is actually going to be 2048 x 2 meter)
image.png
image.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 328 times

Now take a look at that huge island map and how much is actually game area - red overlay ...
image.png
image.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 328 times
Last edited by roadiereloaded on 24 Apr 2019 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 09 Apr 2019 19:23

and now I went and registered a home for all this stuff ... yay.

image.png
image.png (3.64 MiB) Viewed 328 times
Last edited by roadiereloaded on 24 Apr 2019 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 11 Apr 2019 13:23

Game Area.

If FarCry reloaded is going to be one big level we need to plan how much we can put into it. As we know the island level is huge but less than 10% of it is actual game area - and that 10% area is only 30% land. Let's take a look at the tank level: a 2048 x 2048 map that probably translates to 4096 terrain size (1 unit x 2 meters). Now that is all terrain, no water. And not that dense - no jungle, a few tree islands in a see of grass. Uses the least amount of textures too.

Here is the heightmap: -

and this is the actual game area that the player can access:

tank.jpg
tank.jpg (518.39 KiB) Viewed 320 times

might be a little less actually - at the bottom that could already be mine.cry. Anyways we can see that the maps are huge but not really. The question is thus, how much can the engine handle at acceptable framerates? who knows ...
Lets look at this then:

areacalc.jpg
areacalc.jpg (898.66 KiB) Viewed 320 times

So here, to get an overview I took a couple of the FarCry heightmaps, cut out the 'real' game area, erased an estimate of mountain tops and compared to tank.cry we can see that we are getting closer. Still about 3 times the terrain but not impossible. Now I am going to decide on which FarCry heightmap parts I am going to use and weld them together to an epic archipelago that will rival Kong Island.

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 24 Apr 2019 12:18

So, this is kind of the final heightmap. It has training and player start is somewhere near the outer reef in the reloaded part. Jack will of course wake up in the bunker. Training has the Carrier mission which I will not replicate. However, I will have the Container Wreck there so it will be a point of interest inside the training heightmap. Then as in FarCry we move on to Fort and Pier levels which share the same heightmap and actually, they have been done in cryengine 2 by the modder d33DUB in the mod FCFort.
That mod comes without the cry files sadly - would have loved to see how they built the old fortress and maybe even ask if I could use it.

Anyways. The next and last one is Rebellion from FarCry which is a great level and will house some underground facilities too. And inside the atoll are the small islands from the Boat level. All in all we have 6 FarCry levels (Archive is in the rebellion heightmap too), and that should make for a huge map with hours of gameplay. I started filling in points in the heightmap image below and will upload the final version once done.

Now this heightmap I will load into the sandbox and there I will go over the parts that are not used / accessible in FarCry and make them interesting. For instance I want to have a River and one grassland area similar to the Tank level where I can implement the horror of being hunted by a pack of Trigen in high grass (Jurassic Park - Velociraptor etc etc).

This would then be 2048x2048 - 1unit = 2meter so we will have a 4096x4096 terrain map.

FarCryreloaded-heightmap.png
FarCryreloaded-heightmap.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 287 times

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 23 May 2019 09:50

so here is the latest iteration - still has to be tested in the sandbox ... might work ...
... the green dots are locations from the FarCry1 game. The 2 blue dots are 1 nanosuit player start and an Airfield I want near the main camp in the original Pier level. - the trigen area is an Idea so we can have a little Jurassic Park feeling. the 3 red squares are the underground facilities - mini levels so to say ...

... update 2019-07-03 its in the sandbox and the working version now - I think this is going to work - I am putting the fly throughs on moddb - local versions will come later. https://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-reloa ... 2#imagebox

FarCryreloaded-heightmap-v2.png
FarCryreloaded-heightmap-v2.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 251 times
Last edited by roadiereloaded on 03 Jul 2019 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 03 Jul 2019 12:06

reloaded-steps-one-map-1.png
reloaded-steps-one-map-1.png (3.64 MiB) Viewed 137 times

roadiereloaded

Post by roadiereloaded » 20 Aug 2019 10:52

The big map works. I have adjusted the terrain (basics) and started to pull locations from the crysis levels / maps into reloaded.
What I mean is that I went and imported all the layers needed to have the complete Harbor area from the assault level in Crysis - including AI points for nav, Visareas and portals, decals ... the works. Then I moved it into place using the grid so that the new holes for the sewer system would fit 100%. I then took out the railway stuff, but keeping the containers. All AI entities, pickups, and crysis related logic was stripped and now we have a great location ready for integration.

I did the same with the camp from the mine level - the one before the crusher area. Then I found the IA map 'Outpost' that has a nice voxel cave. Turns out I could import the whole thing and keeping to the grid and no rotating I just had to cut the holes in the terrain and was able to paint the voxel perfectly too.

I did the same for the huge cavern from the mine level which is where Nomad enters the alien ship. Loads of space - this area is going to be adjacent to the control level installation. The outpost location is used in Fort - and also in Archive as the entrance - will adjust that and dig deeper.

reloaded-banner-4.jpg
reloaded-banner-4.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 61 times

I also found the research dome in usable form in another MP map (plantation something ...) and put that into rebellion - this is going to be one of the 'mobile' trigen research installation - abandoned, scary etc. Should be visited at night of course.

As for the total count of objects - its nearing 25.000 and I think 50.000 is possible, Fleet has 35.000 plus (without vegetation). I think a lot will depend on visareas and occlusion etc. - but I still have to learn those things.

I found I can link a camera to another entity and now while testing the patrols I am setting up I can switch between boats, helicopters, ltvs and grunts happily cruising the map and keep an eye on where they go and what it looks like from that perspective - This will provide some great footage later on.

oh, and I found how to capture screens so that the videos are stutter free ... Folks on DSOG complained after the last article ...