nomad

Chronoranger by the_grim

Post by nomad » 08 Apr 2019 19:28

Chronoranger
Download zip (83MB): https://crymod.org/mods/chronoranger.zip
17788_screen_8729486fcf20b75f2536a001446e0cd3.jpg
17788_screen_8729486fcf20b75f2536a001446e0cd3.jpg (219.27 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Description:
The CHRONOTEC CT-001 Temporal Manipulator Suit is a sophisticated tool for manipulation and intervention of parallel spatial-temporal continuums within a singular universe. The CT-001 allows the suit operator to maintain a stable connection with up to four separate timelines, and traverse conveniently between them. Easy-to-use wristband-mounted controls and a secure but flexible waterproof exosuit guarantee a safe and convenient timejump without the fear of user disintegration.
We hope you enjoy our products, and have a pleasant timejump!
Story:
Chronoranger is a Crysis modification exploring the theme of timetravel. The player's objective is to maneuver in the game world, traveling between 4 "timelines". Each timeline has different obstacles and routes; by time-jumping to a correct timeline the player can get past his obstacles, and finish the level. "Finish" in this case means "abrupt surprise ending when you least expect it", because due to lack of time (and the very time-consuming nature of the mod) I am not planning to expand on the only level. As it is, the map is very short, and can be finished in 5 minutes if the player knows what he is doing, but inexperienced players should have fun trying to solve the timejump puzzles. ;)

Features:

Playable only in Crysis not in Crysis Wars
Time travel -based puzzle gameplay
No combat apart from avoiding hostile enemies
Specially made map to enable timejump mechanics
Custom textures and models!
.cry file included for your enjoyment.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zgftVrwDdY

About the Mod:
For those of you who are wondering how this all works, the mod gameplay is entirely based on flow graphs! ;) The map is divided into four identical terrain parts, and the player is beamed into one of these different "timelines" when he presses the timejump control button. As you can probably guess, building the level is very time-consuming and tedious work - hence the short length. Basically I get one level for the workload of 4! Additionally, for every part in a timeline terrain that is different in any way from the other timelines, I have to add an area trigger to disable the timejump so the player won't end up inside terrain or a rock or something.

Credits:

Level design, flow graphs, textures: the_grim
Pine tree models by the Exodus team
Thanks to all helpful folks at Crymod! :) I literally couldn't have done it without you...

Bugs:
There are most probably still a lot of bugs left, it's simply not possible for me to go through every square meter of the level ensuring that the player won't beam inside an obstacle. If you fall through the terrain, there's unfortunately no other fix than to start over - ending up inside brushes and vegetation can be fixed by beaming back to where you came from. ;)

There's no guarantee that savegames will work. The level is very short anyway, so this shouldn't be a major problem.

If you encounter an area where it's possible to beam inside terrain, report to me with a screenshot of the location and a description of the origin and destination timelines where this bug occurs, and I may or may not release a fix later. ;)

Installation:
Go to your Crysis game folder -> Electronic Arts -> Crytek -> Crysis -> Mods.
(if not existing please create this folder inside your Crysis root folder)
Copy the mod folder from the downloaded file into the current game folder (Crysis/Mods).

Start Crysis, use the ingame mod loader to load the mod.

After you restart Crysis, open console (^) type in "con_restricted 0" (without the "") enter and then type in "map mapname" (without the "" whereas mapname = the name of the map you want to load located in the mod level folder in Mods/Game/Levels folder)